- TransLink is B.C.’s seventh Teddy waste ‘winner’ in 17-year history of the awards
VANCOUVER, B.C.: TransLink’s record of waste has earned it the lowest honour the Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) can bestow: a lifetime achievement Teddy Waste Award.
TransLink’s award was announced by CTF Federal Director Aaron Wudrick and the CTF’s pig mascot, Porky the Waster Hater, during the 17th annual Teddy Waste Awards ceremony, celebrating the best of the worst in government waste. The awards event took place this morning on Parliament Hill at the Charles Lynch Press Conference Theatre.
“When it comes to wasting tax dollars, TransLink’s board and executives know no shame,” said Jordan Bateman, B.C. Director of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation and spokesperson for the No TransLink Tax campaign. “The CEO dynamic duo debacle put them over the top for this waste award. Only TransLink could have found a way to shoehorn more tax money into its executive suite.”
For six weeks, the No TransLink Tax campaign has been posting “TransLink Waste of the Day” stories on its website and Facebook page. The campaign has more than 90 such stories to post during the campaign, and the list continues to grow.
TransLink’s 2015 Teddy Waste Award is the seventh B.C. winner in the awards’ 17-year history. Previous B.C. winners include:
- 1999 (Provincial) - The Government of B.C. for its $400,000 photo radar manual
- 2000 (Provincial) – The Government of B.C. for the Fast Ferries fiasco
- 2001 (Lifetime) – Premier Glen Clark
- 2006 (Municipal) – The City of Richmond for $460,000 in Olympic junkets
- 2009 (Municipal) – The City of Vancouver for the bankrupt Olympic Village
- 2014 (Municipal) – TransLink for its $4.5m empty Park and Ride
-- 30 –
NOTE: Jordan Bateman will be available for media comment from 10:30 to 11:30 am today (Wednesday, March 4) at the infamous Main Street Poodle on a Pole statue (Main St. at 18th Ave. in Vancouver). He will have the TransLink Teddy Waste Award with him for photo opportunities.
The full Teddy Waste Awards backgrounder can be found HERE.